- In a traffic jam, a car tried to sneak in front of you from a side you and you have the right of way – do you let the car in or drive on?
- You just came home from work only to realize that the whole house is in a messy state – do you start an argument or start tidying up without questioning?
- You are forced to go shopping with a friend from hell a.k.a Blood sucker – do you spend the whole time sulking or try to have a great time regardless?
- Your boss postponed a scheduled meeting you’ve been preparing for weeks – do you fume and let frustration get the better of you or do you just rearrange the appointment without a complaint?
- Your most recent customer had a remorse after buying from you and wanted a refund – do you curse at him for being such a nuisance or do you just do the refund to pacify him?
As you can see from the above 5 situations. They are all commonplace. What are your common reactions to them? Whatever your responses are, they are considered your “default” settings for your mindset.
Are they “Desirable” or “Undesirable “? Are you looking to change them? Remember you’re in CONTROL no matter what.
Just like breathing, we have allowed our responses to situations to go on auto-pilot without much thinking. “It’s just ME”, you say to justify your actions. “I’ve been brought up like that. What do you expect?”
Actually if you could sit down and think for a moment, you will realize that all your so-called “default” responses are really learnt responses while you are growing up. They are acquired and you’re NOT born with them. Therefore, to change any undesirable default responses, you need to acquire the right ones to displace them out of your mind through disciplined behavioral changes.
It has been proven that it takes about 21 days to transform a undesirable mindset to a desirable one. Therefore I hope you will give yourself a challenge and make 2018 a great year for you personally and professionally.
CEO & Founder, AlgoInsights